Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Top of the Rim


I decided on another practice run, this time through Payson to the top of the Mogollon Rim, to check out the Nomad. It was an overcast day with a 30% chance of rain and an expected high of only 95 degrees in Phoenix. I left at about 6:00 and got into Payson around 7:30, refueled and bought my morning cup of coffee.

Since it was a Monday the traffic was very light and the camping areas were about half full. Before getting into Payson I had to put on a long sleeved shirt under my jacket. Payson is over 5,000 feet in elevation and the ranger station on the top of the rim was 7,500 feet so the shirt stayed on. It was a beautiful trip out the Rim Road (General Crook Trail) to Woods Canyon Lake and the Nomad performed flawlessly. There are a little over 2 weeks left for the real thing. Can't wait!

No comments: