Saturday, March 10, 2007

Castle Hot Springs

Years ago (early 70's) some of my dirt riding buddies and I took a road behind Lake Pleasant to a wreck of place called Castle Hot Springs. It was a resort built in a remote canyon for those who used the springs for therapy. There was not much left.
What I saw today shocked me. The buildings had been rebuilt, the lawns replanted and fences repaired. There could not have been a more stark contrast, not just with what I remembered but with the desert in all directions.The road up to the resort (some riders I met said it was now a private residence) was primative and inhabited by what can only be described as survivalist camps (though they may not have been). There were more "Keep Out" and "No Trespassing" signs per mile than I have ever seen. There was even one with a picture of an M16 on it that read "If You Can Read This .... You're in Range". I didn't see any mailboxes, street signs or even a kid pickin a banjo.

The road was easily passable with a two-wheel drive truck but there were a lot of blind turns and it was quite narrow for autos, especially in places where there was no where to go but down.The dirt road ended back at the Carefree Highway and the whole trip was just a little over 100 miles round trip from Phoenix. Another great ride!

No comments: