Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Grand Canyon

The weather should be perfect. They say a high of 52 on top and usually the bottom is about the same as Phoenix, 76. Supposedly there is a 20% chance for rain. We'll see.

Everything is packed and the car is gassed. Up at 3:30, on the road by 4:00 and on the South Kiabab Trail by 7:00. I love these trips!

As many times as I have hiked the Canyon it never ceases to awe me. I never get the feeling that I master it, instead it puts me in my place, clears my mind and lets me know that one day I won't be able to meet it's challenge. But until that day .....

Like baseball in the speech by the character James Earl Jones played in The Field of Dreams it has been the one thing that has been constant. In my life everything else has been measured by hiking the Canyon. "Success requires gutting it out like climbing out of the Canyon." "Don't look at the top, it will only depress you, look back to see how far you've come." "You think the pain will never end, but it does and you will want to do it again." "Don't sit down, it will make it harder to get moving again." This one place has taught me more about life than anything or anybody.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ric I ride an '06 Nomad and had just done a web search under "Vulcan Nomad" to see if I could find a good bulletin board or something. Your blog came up near the top.

I didn't know you were out here. I have a blog on Blogger as well. A great site you have! Do you mind if I put you on my blog roll so it will be easier to return and watch for new entries?

Ric said...

No problem. Thanks for looking in.