Friday, November 07, 2008

A Time for Healing?

I was on the playground the day after the election and a little hispanic girl came up to me on the verge of tears because some other kids were calling her a racist because in the voting at school she was for McCain. I gave her a high five and said I voted for him too. Her face lit up.

The same day a couple of 8th grade hispanic girls asked me who I voted for. Since it was after the election I decided to answer. When I said, "McCain," they asked me if I was a racist. I said that I wasn't and then they proceeded to explain to me that McCain wanted to send all the illegals back to Mexico. I decided not to bother explaining that he actually sponsored a bill to allow them to stay and become citizens if they wished because I then might have said that it was something I strongly disagreed with him about.

I guess it is probably time to not say what one thinks.

No comments: